No; in fact, molds are naturally ubiquitous, and mold spores are part of the indoor dust found in every household and workplace. In this context they are perfectly safe for healthy people. It is only when spores multiply and grow to considerable quantities that they can become hazardous and pose a serious health risk to people. Mold spores multiply when they are exposed to moisture, so buildings that have had water damage, even in the past, may contain hazardous amounts of mold and should be inspected by a certified professional. Assessing and treating potential mold hazards is important, because they can be very harmful, especially for people with allergies or respiratory problems. Mold in high quantities may even produce mycotoxins, which are toxins that can cause neurological damage and, in extreme cases, death. If your building has had water damage, have a qualified environmental remediation specialist perform an inspection. At Enkay Engineering, we offer free comprehensive estimates for mold remediation, performed by experienced, certified specialists.What are the potential health effects of exposure to mold?
Long-term exposure to mold and/or exposure to high quantities of mold can lead to respiratory problems and allergic reactions. In the case of toxic mold, which can sometimes develop when mold spores reach high quantities, exposure can lead to neurological problems and even death. If your building has a visible mold problem or has been water-damaged, it's important to have it inspected by qualified, experienced mold remediation professionals, who can accurately evaluate the potential hazard and treat the problem if there is one. Molds can lie dormant inside walls for years before re-exposure to moisture causes a visible problem, so if your building has ever been water damaged, even in the past, it's a good idea to have it inspected.Is all lead-based paint dangerous?
In the same way, the lead in lead-based paint isn't normally hazardous. It only poses a health hazard when lead dust is dislodged from the paint and becomes airborne or is ingested through hand-to-mouth contact. Small children may also ingest lead-based paint by eating dislodged paint chips. Lead dust and lead paint chips are typically dislodged from interior or exterior paint during repainting or remodeling, or simply due to natural deterioration of the paint over time. For this reason, the EPA now requires all renovators working on homes built before 1978 who plan to disturb more than six square feet of lead-based paint to be specially certified.What are the potential health effects of exposure to lead-based paint?
Lead-based paint exposure poses serious risks. In children, it can cause slowing of the normal growth rate, impaired motor skills, hyperactivity, learning disabilities, and anemia. In adults, it can cause hypertension, damage to the nervous system, damage to internal organs, and even cancer. For women in particular, it can cause damage to their reproductive systems; for pregnant women, it can cause premature birth and a low birth weight of the baby. Lead-based paint exposure can also cause nerve and red blood cell damage in both children and adults.
While this information can seem overwhelming, there are resources available to deal with lead-based paint hazards. Have a certified, experienced environmental remediation specialist inspect your property to assess the level of risk and treat the problem if necessary. At Enkay Engineering, we offer free estimates for lead-based paint removal, and we can test potential problem areas to determine whether there is a hazard. If there is one, we can safely contain and remove the hazardous portion of lead-based paint and decontaminate the area.Is all asbestos dangerous?
Asbestos in buildings is usually safe because it is sealed away inside acoustic ceiling tiles, drywall plaster, pipe insulation, or other building materials. It is only a hazard when it becomes exposed and can then spread through the air. This happens when asbestos tiles break, asbestos drywall plaster is drilled into, or any other time the asbestos fibers inside a building material are disrupted, dislodged, or otherwise exposed.What are the potential health effects of exposure to asbestos?
Most people exposed to low levels of asbestos do not experience health problems. People who suffer long-term exposure, however, are at a much higher risk of experiencing serious health problems, including malignant mesothelioma (a rare form of cancer). People diagnosed with mesothelioma have usually been exposed to an occupational asbestos hazard, or are a family member of such a person. If you think there might be an asbestos hazard in your home, office, or other inhabited building, contact a certified professional environmental remediation contractor. At Enkay Engineering, we offer free estimates for asbestos abatement. We perform thorough surveys and advanced testing to accurately determine the level of hazard, and if we do find an asbestos problem, we can safely contain and remove it.How can I tell if my building has a mold, asbestos, or lead-based paint hazard?
Hire an experienced, fully licensed and certified environmental remediation contractor like Enkay Engineering. We offer free estimates, and we can conduct a thorough, accurate survey of your building to determine if there is a hazard. If you do have a mold, asbestos or lead problem, we can provide safe, effective environmental remediation services at affordable rates. Whoever you hire to conduct the survey, make sure they have a reliable history of industry experience, and all the necessary licenses and certifications. Enkay Engineering is fully licensed and certified, highly qualified, and has more than 25 years of experience. In fact, we are the sixth oldest operating asbestos abatement contractor in the state of California.
We are grateful for Mr. Sorrento's accurate determination of the design of our heating system and then for the skilled work of Misters Martinez and Troche in removing the ducts. They took obvious pride in their work and in showing us their effective equipment . . .Read More